I have taken a rather long break from blogging. Many a times, in the last one and a half years, I have felt so discouraged to try new recipes. With my son's already existing food allergies (brown rice, barley and oats) and with hubby's newly diagnosed wheat and milk intolerances it was not the easiest task to put a meal together.
Finally the pity party is over and I celebrate it with this absolutely delicious gluten free and dairy free muffin.
Thanks to family and friends who kept me motivated. Stay tuned, more recipes are to come.
1. Almond meal - 1/2 cup
2. Buckwheat - 1/2 cup
3. Tapioca starch - 1/2 cup
4. Baking powder - 1 tsp
5. Baking soda - 1tsp
6. Salt - 1/2 tsp
7. Chopped pecans - 1/3 cup
8. Pecan halves - 12 (for topping)
9. Egg - 1
10. Apple sauce - 1 1/4 cups
11. Coconut oil (melted) - 1/2 cup
12. Sugar - 3/4 cup
1. Prepare muffin pans with cup cake liners.
2. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
3. Combine ingredients 1 - 7 in a medium sized bowl.
4. Combine ingredients 9-12 in a large sized bowl and whisk well to combine.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine well.
6. Divide the batter into the cup cake liners and add the topping.
7. Bake at 375˚F for 20-25 minutes. Freezes well and tastes yummy!
1. Rice - 1 cup
2. Water - 2 cups
3. Salt - 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp, divided
4. Oil - 1 Tbs +2Tbs+ 1/2 Tbs divided
5. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
6. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
7. Onion - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
8. Cumin powder - 1 tsp
9. Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
11. Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (adjust to suit your taste)
12. Grated carrots - 1 1/2 cups
13. Cilantro - 1 Tbs + 1 Tbs, finely chopped, divided
14. Raisins - 1 1/2 Tbs
15. Cashew nuts - 1 1/2 Tbs
1. Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Add 2 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbs oil and mix well. Cook in an electric rice cooker.
3. Once rice is cooked, immediately transfer to a large tray and allow to cool.
4. To a hot kadai, add 2 Tbs of oil.
5. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and let splutter. Add the finely chopped onion pieces and sauté until edges are light golden brown.
6. Add cumin powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and stir well to combine.
7. Add the grated carrots and mix well to combine. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 Tbs cilantro and mix again. Cook with the lid on until the grated carrots are cooked, stirring every now and then.
8. In the mean time, use the tips of your fingers to separate the rice grains.
9. Add rice to the cooked carrots and mix well.
10. Heat the remaining 1/2 Tbs of oil in a sauce pan and fry the raisins until they are plump. Using a spoon, drain excess oil and transfer the raisins to the carrot rice. Fry the cashew nuts in the remaining oil until they turn golden brown and mix it with the rice.
11. Add 1 Tbs of cilantro and mix well.
12. Enjoy this simple but delicious carrot rice with your favourite side dish, I love it with raita. Tastes Yummy!