- Carrots - 1 large
- Beans - Handful
- Frozen peas - 1/2 cup
- Potatoes - 1 large (vegetables filled up a 1 quart microwavable dish)
- Onions - 1 1/2
- Thai chillies - 6
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Star anise - 1
- Cardamom - 2
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Cilantro leaves finely chopped - 2 Tbs
- Maggie coconut milk powder (available in the Indian store) - 3/4 cup
- Corn starch - 1 Tbs
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Warm water - 3 to 4 cups
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Cut carrots, beans and potatoes into 1 inch long pieces.
2. Put the cut vegetables and the frozen peas in a microwave safe dish. Cover and cook in the microwave for 10 minutes.
3. While the vegetables get cooked, whisk maggie coconut milk powder, corn starch and turmeric powder in a separate bowl . Add 2 cups of water to it and mix well. Keep aside.
4. To a hot kadai, add oil and fry cinnamon, star anise and cardamom until you can smell the spices. Then add the cumin seeds and let splutter. Add curry leaves and fry in the oil for a few seconds.
5. Add the onions and slit thai chillies and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the cooked vegetables and add one cup of water and let it come to a boil. At this point, simmer and add the coconut milk and corn starch mixture. Mix well. Add salt to taste. Add the remaining 1 cup of water on an as needed basis to bring the stew to the desired thickness.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with hot rice, aapam, idiyapam or even dosai. Tastes yummy !