1. Fresh strawberries - enough to yield 6 cups of crushed strawberry.
2. Sugar - 4 and 1/2 cups
3. Certo light pectin crystals - 1 box
4. Lemon juice - 3 Tbs
5. Orange juice - 3 Tbs
6. Orange zest - from one orange
7. Vanilla essence - 1 Tbs
1. Wash strawberries and hull them.
2. Puree the strawberries in a blender or use a potato masher to get the job done.
3. Combine crushed strawberries, lemon juice, orange juice and orange zest in a big heavy pot.
4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with the pectin and add to the pot.
5. Bring the strawberry mixture to a rolling boil.
6. Now add the remaining sugar and vanilla essence and let it boil on high heat for at least 2 minutes.
7. At this point you can put a small amount of the jam on a plate and put it in the freezer to check if it sets.
8. Take the jam and set aside.
8. Pour the prepared jam into sterilized warm mason jars allowing for a 1/4 inch head space. Carefully seal the jar with the sterilized disc and screw the lid on until you feel mild resistance.
9. Allow the jam to cool. You will hear the lids pop.
10. Once completely cool, twist the lid on tightly and store in your pantry.
11. Enjoy it on toast or crackers. Tastes yummy!